Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Elspeth Allyson--how did you come up with that?

First of all, I would like to give Ryan some credit. He was extremely flexible with my choices on the baby's name. The day after we found out Elspeth's diagnosis I came to him and said, "The baby's name is Elspeth Allyson." Ryan said, "that sounds like the right name." We didn't even know if it was a girl or boy at that point and we hadn't seriously discussed any names either (I was only 14 weeks pregnant). I can't say how, but I just knew that's who she was and felt at peace when I finally recognized her for her true self.

Elspeth, pronounced "Elle-speth", is a derivative of Elizabeth. It's meaning is "consecrated to God". That's exactly how I feel about my Elspeth, that I am giving her right back to God immediately. My nine months with Elspeth is going by so quickly, but it's a constant reminder that God is trusting me to take care of her for this little while and then He will call her home again. She is first and foremost our Heavenly Father's daughter, and mine second.


Elspeth also has special meaning because it's my middle name. I have always been fond of my name, Meredith Elspeth (good job Mom and Dad) because of it's originality and because of the special woman whom I inherited it from.

Elspeth Seville was a woman that my dad found as a missionary in Scotland many years ago. Elsie was a woman of remarkable character and against a lot of critism from friends and family she accepted the Gospel of Jesus Christ was baptized. Elsie lived a hard life, as a widow she worked as a hotel maid in Scotland to support her children. My dad describes her as a "hard looking woman with a soft kind spirit." Elsie kept in contact with my parents after they had married until her death 1975. She was faithful and true to her testimony for rest of her life and her legacy lives on through her own children and now myself.


Allyson is the name of one of my beloved sisters. She is my oldest sister and we have shared many of the same trials with infertility together. Sharing this burden with each other has bonded us together forever. I am so grateful to have her in my life because she truly understands the pain of not having a child of my own. I will always be grateful for her support and love. Giving my daughter her name is a way in which I would like to honor her. (Allyson, you are probably going to kill me for posting this but hey, it's my blog and I can write whatever I want on it).

7 comments:

  1. I couldn't be more honored to share my name with this special spirit that will soon join our family. Thank you for allowing me to have a part in this experience. I love you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful and fitting name for such a precious little girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's perfect. i love the story behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think her name is absolutely perfect. I'm glad you shared the background!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meredith,
    Thanks for sharing your heart! You're absolutely right, God did choose the right parents for Elspeth! Know that you, Ryan and baby Elspeth will be in my prayers!

    Nichole Dansel

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mer, you're an amazingly strong woman! I totally look up to you. I love her name ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful name! You and Ryan are truly the right parents for this sweet little girl.

    ReplyDelete