Tuesday, July 20, 2010

29 Weeks

Today we went in for our 3D sonogram. There was so much build up to this day that I was worried I would find myself dissapointed, but thankfully it turned out to be wonderful even though Elspeth was an uncooperative participant. Jeanette Burlbaw is a sonographer who volunteers her time to families who need peri-natal hospice services. She was referred to us by Alexandra's House. Jeanette is not only a very talented sonographer, but also a compassionate person. I enjoyed every minute of our two hour session.


Elspeth's face was tucked into her chest and her head was squished up against my bladder. Then to top it all off, her hands were in front of her face for most of the sonogram...well, until I took a short break and jumped up and down. The sonographer said it would help her to change positions. She did finally move her hands for a brief moment, but it was still very difficult to see her face, which could be viewed in profile only. Jeanette said there was plenty of space for Elspeth to move around in, but she was content to keep curled up in a ball.


The biggest positives discovered from the sono were #1 Elspeth is still head down (wahoo! I'm hoping for a vaginal delivery and NO C-SECTIONS!) #2 Elspeth's growth is right on track #3 No polyhydraminos complications. #4 Elspeth is still very much a girl. Her favorite and most frequently photographed body part? You guessed it, her bottom and other such areas down there. The sonographer said she loves to show off her little bottom, a trait in which I credit to her father.





Here are some of the highlights:







Arms up by her head and covering her face, her favorite position.




.

Hands folded together.



.


Left arm and knee.




.

Knees bent.




.


Sweet little foot.


.

Hand resting on her knee.

.

Legs crossed, like the lady she is.






2D shot of her face. It's was the only way to see her face. Her hand is up by her eyes.



There are several more shots but these are the best. A big thanks to my Mom and sister Allyson for coming with Ryan and I to the appointment. They both helped make it a fun experience instead of depressing and that was very much appreciated.












8 comments:

  1. Jeanette did our sono, too, about a week before our son was born prematurely. He looked exactly like the sono photos.

    What a gift you have with these folks who so generously donate their talents so that you can experience every bit of parenthood you can.

    Having read every post on this blog, I want to echo what many readers have already said. You and Ryan are amazing. God knew what He was doing when He sent you this special needs child. You are parenting her already, with love and a warm womb and a plan to see her in Heaven.

    God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merrie, you and Ryan will be in my prayers in the weeks to come.

    Three years ago, after a period of infertility, my daughter & son-in-love had the joy to become the parents of a very healthy boy and a little girl who had an encephalocele and alobar holoprosencephaly. They were born just over 8 weeks early, W came out pink and screaming and spent an uneventful 22 days in the NICU. L spent just over an hour and a half in her parents' arms, and knew only love during her short life.

    I have not read the comments, but I wanted to make sure that you are aware of the services provided by Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep. They are an organization of professional photographers who volunteer their services to provide parents with professional family photographs of their infants who are born still or who pass away shortly after birth. Pictures taken by the hospital staff are often very stark, although they are much better than nothing. NILMDTS photographers are expert in what they do and they have absoutely beautiful photos on their web site. (My computer is acting up tonight, so I don't want to try to link the site, for fear that I'll lose what I've written. It's an easy Google search.)

    Anne in (almost) Memphis

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is amazing! The detail! Thanks so much for sharing. I was thinking about you the rest of the day and wondered how it went. Mom called and gave me a report, but it's nice to see the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so, so sweet. i've kept this post open since yesterday and keep peeking at all the pictures. (those hands...squeee!) i'm glad you had a wonderful experience. thank you for sharing it with us.

    xoxo,

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet little girl. I love her little feet! I'm so glad you had this chance to have some special time with Elsepth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a special time for all of you. It never ceases to amaze me how much of these little ones personalities come out in ultrasound pictures. :)
    Oh and just to let you know Mer I couldn't help but chuckle when I saw the picture of her foot. Reminded me of someone else that would always steel my camera and I would develop film to find a foot. :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ryan and Mer, I hope you don't mind Susan sent me this link. You both have been in my thoughts.
    These pic are amazing. What a powerful testimony you examplify of the Plan of Salvation.
    I just read all the post and have thought how the Angels will read the words you have shared and will continue to read them to Elspeth till you re-join her again. What special parents you are.

    ReplyDelete