Sunday, August 15, 2010

32 weeks

This week was not only productive, but very positive too. It started with the visit to the hospital for our pre-registration paperwork and a tour. The RN who did our interview was very compassionate and understanding. It seems like everyone who has helped with this whole process has just bent over backward to make our experience the best possible under the circumstances.

The other great news from this week is that Elspeth's induction date is set! We will check into the hospital for some pre-treatment the night before the induction on Monday October 4th. Then early on Tuesday October 5th the pitocin will start. Some of you might ask, why are you having an induction? The answer is simple, anencephalic babies just don't know when to come. Some doctors believe that birth is triggered by a hormone secreted from a baby's brain. This hormone starts contractions. Since anencephalic babies don't have anything more than a brain stem, they do not initiate labor. Before the days of sonography, women who were overdue by more than 2 weeks or so were suspected to have anencephalic babies. Sometimes these women went 4+ weeks overdue because they didn't understand about anencephaly the way they do now. I have chosen to induce on Elspeth's due date instead of earlier like I had originally planned because I am hoping my body will be more ready for labor and maybe it will go a little more smoothly. We are also hoping that Elspeth will be strong enough by 40 weeks to make it out alive, literally.

Speaking of labor and birth, we had our birth class yesterday. We found a doula named Vanessa Flood through the hospital. She often teaches large group classes but agreed to have a private class with Ryan and I in our own home. Having spoken to several other people in the past I am so grateful that we had this private session for many different reasons. Vanessa made the class applicable to me and let us ask as many questions as we wanted and made it fun too. I really feel relieved after having her come over about the whole labor process. Other people that I have spoken with about their classes said that it was boring, generic and not very helpful. This is totally not the case with Vanessa, she made me feel confident and strong...at least for now. Maybe my really strange nightmares about giving birth will let up for now...I could use a break from dreaming about giving birth naked in a room full of people I knew from high school.

Here's a photo of Vanessa and I on our "birthing" balls.

I am ready for week 33 coming up this next week. So many of you have asked "how do you feel?" I feel good physically, emotionally worn out on most days. I am really lucky because I haven't gotten swollen yet and my back only hurts on days that I have worked a 12 hour shift so I can't complain. I really feel that my Heavenly Father has blessed me to have such a wonderful pregnancy and I will be eternally grateful for such a gift!


13 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had such a good experience! We were induced, and went in the night before for the "pretreatment" as well. Take the sleeping pill they offer. I didn't have bad contractions during the night, but they were regular and strong enough that I didn't sleep well. I wanted to tell you that you looked beautiful at church today. I admire your strength and testimony. You and Ryan are wonderful examples, and wonderful parents. Your little family will continue to be in my prayers. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look how cute and pregnant you are! I'm so glad I got to see a picture of you with your cute belly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Meredith and Ryan, I just found your blog, through Michael, my son. What a very sweet blog this is. Thank you for sharing. My prayers are with you two as you continue this courageous and valiant path. And what a very sweet name you chose for this very special little girl.
    hugs
    ~anita hahn

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful that you were able to have a private class, in your home and have it be very applicable.

    Heres hoping you have a smooth labor and create wonderful memories afterwards as a family.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So I already commented on fb a little, but I just saw your post. I'm glad you were able to get a one on one birth class. I've heard other people, too, say that their classes were pretty much pointless, but I would have to disagree. I think you're doing absolutely the right thing by trying to prepare as much as possible. And I'm glad you were able to meet with Vanessa. If I ever decide to use a doula, I would definitely use her. And I have to agree with the other comment: you are looking very cute and pregnant. Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the picture of you and your cute belly:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vanessa is the best. Andy and I took our birth and breastfeeding classes with her at the Shaawnee Mission Hospital. She is very fun. We learn a lot with her..nice that you find her..She will help you for that special moment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Doula sounds great. Come on over tonight and we'll go to Taco Johns by OL South and confront your fears and peers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Doula sounds great. Meet me tonight at Taco Johns by OL South and we will confront your fears and peers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. meredith, i know it can't be easy to share your thoughts and feelings so openly, so thank you for this blog. it is wonderful to read. you are so inspiring to me.

    as for vanessa, she sounds awesome. i'm so grateful for the people that have come into your life to support you during this process.

    enjoy the next few weeks. you are going to have a wonderful birth experience.

    thinking of you always,

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those birthing balls crack me up. Hope the practice helps when the real birth comes along.

    You continue to inspire me.

    -Sarah Parrott

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Meredith! I was just getting caught up on your blog again. Thanks so much for sharing your story.

    Re: what triggers labor - I'm sure they don't know for sure, but another theory is that the baby's lungs actually trigger it when they're fully formed. So maybe your sweet baby would still be able to tell you! Remember, even Merani went 2 weeks "overdue" - I had another friend whose baby was 4 weeks past EDD. By that point, it's mostly just an exercise in patience dealing with all the people who ask why the baby isn't born yet. ;)

    I'm sending lots of positive birthing vibes your way - I hope Elspeth is born in the sac for you! :)

    -Nikki

    ReplyDelete